Tuesday, May 31, 2011 @ 12:16 AM
OAC + BH
And fittingly the 50th post is reserved for the most significant contributor of this blog.
Starting with "I do not know what to write" is always an easy excuse not to put in the effort to think before writing. I have an idea on what I want to write, but I just don't know how to start.
Topic statement: In this entry, I will first talk about my term in OAC before talking about Bike Hike (although xiaoqi has already talked a shit load about it :D)
Alright, OAC.
3 weeks before Bike Hike I remember thinking that 21 more days and it will be all over. I contemplated whether I should remind all of you about this, but I didn't because I think this realisation has a more powerful impact when made by ourselves. And then the day came and through the day I was really telling myself to treasure the very present moment, I really did tell myself that. During the bus ride (until I saw you Sean), upon arrival, when cycling down Henderson Road (with my hands wide open by my sides [cool huh]) knowing it will be the last time for a long long time.
And then it all ended.
Not only Bike Hike but really the whole of my (our) OAC journey. Of course there is still the kids camp and investiture but, well, you know what I mean.
Something OAC has given me, a lot of happy (if not, memorable) memories. From the very start, YLTC. I remember feeling damn du lan when Jerrold (xing hao!) was questioning why we couldn't remember their names after having them just state ONCE. Dorm cleaning (er hem), the final dorm recreation where I distinctly remember Zheliang's face facing mine as I held the incline pull-up position. So much and this is only YL. So many more things, murderer during YLTC with sarah winning that particular round which changed my impression of her quite a bit, kayaking to the floating platform and taking pics on it, seeing our most expensive balloons fly away during MAF, getting pretty depressed and worried over low numbers for OH but happy that it was helped successfully and hearing positive comments during campfire made it all worth it. open house and cca exhibition where we got pretty proud about how we managed to attract quite a fair bit of people. Our own YL came and it was a hectic rush to get action plans out and communicate plans to others, and of course the perverse joy everytime a junior questions what we are doing for recreation. So many more memories in our own YL, though frankly I striking one would be entering the room after attending to the juniors to the whole day and seeing the entire room full of you dogs mugging lol. Frankly wasn't very happy at that moment but it just ends another dimension to our experience together as a batch really. Land ex with Commanches, mad rush in deciding venue for campfire, and the final roll call for us and the feelings that followed (er hem). Just so many things.
Aside from memories, OAC has also given me 12 precious people whom I am thankful to have in my JC life. Rebecca (because it is in order of non-importance. JOKING LA REB), high forehead and can't seem to wear a freaking helmet right which is really irritating. superb intellectual capacity as well and always the first to get jokes. Aside from that a really caring person (I am serious!) and super high as well. Had a very good impression in Apaches. then I don't know what happened. Alright jokes aside really has been a great friend and great source of entertainment as well. Thanks lots baika.
Then Caijing who does not have the nicest hair and I stilll remember the scare I got when you were washing your cups for that fateful supper. really caring as well gave so many cards that I don't know where to keep them.
Derrick who thinks so damn critically and treats rebecca so damn well that I really respect him for that. (I realize 12 albeit not a huge number isn't all that small either so got to keep it short).
Huiyan who is the only one capable of challenging with Reb for the greatest intellect, though I think Reb still edges out. Always responsible with things and is from Malaysia! (what else more can you ask from her, she's already had it tough)
This leads me to Zhihao! So damn freaking high and sings very enthusiastically as well. Always able to get the mood up when we need it the most, or even when we do not need it lol.
Jeremy and Isa! (seriously just to save time, no other intentions) congratz and best wishes for all. On a more serious note (though not exactly), the strong advocates for Chinese in OAC who frowns upon the degrading western culture. Anyway thanks to Jeremy really you have been a great friend, same to you too Isa.
Xiaoqi who is really crazy when high, like really damn freaking siao. Really caring too and sensitive to people around her.
Sarah who for some reason never seems to stop smiling, though it also means that it is easy to read you when you feel perplexed or troubled, cause it isn't all that hard as the smile disappears lol. Still can remember during open house when marc (that dude from isa's class whom i can't remember the name at this moment) came to toy with our swing and you stated it was about the first time you were getting irritated. Damn high sms and msn messages as well! Really has a feel good vibe about every message from you.
Huiying-the-tall-who-has-a-great-father-with-a-nice-car. The artistic one, second only to me, though still can't beat you in height. Really enthu in all activites, in fact seems to attend every windsurfing/kayaking/cycling activity no matter what.
June who is one of the greatest contributor to my inbox and always dependable source for getting messages across to batch. And your chinese accent which frankly doesn't sound all that china-ish lol.
Liwen! who is so responsible in all your tasks and runs so enthusiastically I don't know what is wrong with you. Just gives me the impression of a prim-and-proper person who is so damn dilligent. which is why you are the last listed (as opposed to our first candidate (er hem))
And I was really touched by that card during my H3 period and it really motivated me a damn lot, because how the hell could I not mug like a dog after seeing that. So thanks 36th :D
That took longer than expected!
Xiaoqi has talked much about bike hike but I would like to just expand on the preparation process.
It has indeed been a very long and hard journey. In fact looking back at my msn convos, we started in January where we met Alex Quek and discussed how to raise the issue to the school, toyed with the possibility of hiring auxiliary police. after that raised issue with Mr Alex Tan, a couple of months hiatus where we had OH and YL, then got back with a negative response and Bike Hike was on the verge of collapsing. Wasn't at all a good tempered discussion with Mr Alex in the canteen if bike hike comm recall, decided to hold on park connectors so went home and plotted out sample route. 1st recee however changed route and cycled on pavement in day till thiong bahru. 2nd recee which only derrick sean and I completed it. And this recee deserves a paragraph on its on lol
So it started with a car recee in Sarah's white picnic which brought back fond memories of my own dad's picnic 2 years ago, with me hugging a pillow in one hand and leaning against the seat, we trudged through the route starting from henderson before it poured like freaking POURED DAMN HEAVILY. So slowly we inched back to east coast since we were about to end anyway. Here comes the fun part as derrick sean and I started our recee. It was all pretty smooth sailing, albeit the black cat at the park connector which nearly escaped with only 8 lives left. All along felt pretty apprehensive about the fact that we were cycling on pavements. All was really pretty smooth until HOOT KIAM road where Derrick sat on the pavement and started rummaging through his bag for his phone, which led to us retracing our steps for a good 5 minutes on foot before I questioned where the hell we were intending to WALK to since we had cycled a good 3 hours and had no bloody idea where the phone was. Oh ya even before that before turning into Geylang road, Sean's tire punctured with a resounding burst as if it was welcoming us into an eventful night. At market I requested to change with Sean to TRY OUT his bike since I didn't have the experience of cycling on a bike with punctured tires and only came to a conclusion that tires are filled with air for a bloody good reason. As we went on the park connector (not the one we know of now it was changed) we went all the way until a freaking road stood in the middle between us and the park connector that was on the other side. How connected it surely is. So had to come up with an alternative route only to run into a highway and corresponding dead end, and to top things off derrick fell and lost his specs in the bushes. Pulled out grass for 10 minutes and finally found his specs via the superb vision of mine. Finally reached ECP at a commendable time of 6am.
So after that it was recees every weekend minus huang cheng weekend, and the last couple of weeks was defined by staying in school till 9pm everyday for preparation for bike hike. And then the day arrived. With regards to what happened need I mention more.
And hence with the conclusion of bike hike it marks the end of our OAC journey.
It has been a great one for me and I gained and learnt a lot. Hope that every titan who sees this post can make the effort to reflect upon your term in OAC as well, and if appropriate share with all. If it isn't its ok because it isn't what you do with your reflections, but rather it is the mere fact that one has reflected that counts.


Huiyan, Jeremy, Isa, Xiaoqi, June you are in our hearts!
szeyuan