|
titans!
|
|
|
|
Sunday, January 1, 2012 @ 1:03 AM
auld lang syne auld lang syne [n] - old times, especially times fondly remembered 2011, for the collective batch, has been punctuated by palpable happenings worthy of remembrance and reflection. I fondly recall our JTS at Seoul Garden, lacklustre response of Orientation Hike, YLTC (need I say more?), Bike Hike, Grace Orchard Camp and of course the dreary Alvls... just to name a few. This is the time for anamnesis - for us to smile stupidly at our past victories and defeats; for us to embrace mistakes because we have grown stronger; for us to thank everyone because they have featured beautifully in episodes of 2011. Falling and standing up, nicely reminding me of Xiaoqi's cycling experience, signifies not just our lifelong reaction to lessons, but rather our wired mentality against challenges and obstacles. As the day cascaded and I patiently waited for my first countdown in 18 years, I was trying to figure out why so many people are obsessed with countdowns and congratulatory intents. Is there a larger purpose than to catch up and have fun? I believe we celebrate the cusp of the new year because it epitomizes a leap. Hurdling over the imaginary fence of constructed time, we gradually learn to empty our extended baggages of melancholy and regrets, or to expurgate the abyss of despair, shame and calamity. Whatever one's purpose, I believe our larger objective is rather congruous. We want to start on a brand new page in our chronicle of life; uncompleted drafts are archived, happy memories are duly filed, unhappy memories are harshly visible - no matter how hard we erase and scrub - just like coffee stains and my repulsive handwriting. A new chapter is revealing itself, and we are the skillful writer of this unfolding article. At this point, we continue treading on our respective roads as our intertwined pathway diverges. Auld lang syne, my friends, and I wish you a propitious new year. A promising cartoonist, Derrick |